Sunday, December 24, 2006

That old chestnut

It's that time again, innit.

What did you do in 2006 that you’d never done before?
Walked out on a job.

Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make any. I will likely not make any for 2007, either. So there!

Did anyone close to you give birth?
Did they ever. Persephone had two delicious boys, my sister-in-law had delicious boy #3 [not her third, just delicious newborn boy #3] and my friend Jessica had delicious boy #4.

Did anyone close to you die?
No.

What countries did you visit?
Sigh. Let's move on to the next question.

What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
A meaningful career goal. (Which is actually in place even now. Mwah hah hah hah!)

What date from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory?
December 8 - Luke's first birthday.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Forcing myself to be vulnerable.

What was your biggest failure?
Not getting in shape.

Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nah.

What was the best thing you bought?
Probably an impossibly awesome silk purse. Either that or the equally awesome diaper bag I got for a steal on eBay, which is obviously the more practical of the two.

Whose behaviour merited celebration?
H., my mom and my uncle, whose behavior always inspires me to be better.

Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Oh dear. That list is too long and dreary to go into.

Where did most of your money go?
Same as last year: mortgage.

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I am easily excitable. I'm a bit like a magpie: Oooh! Shiny!

What song/album will always remind you of 2006?
Anything Pulp ever; also, the Chills' "I Love My Leather Jacket."

Compared to this time last year, are you:
Happier or sadder? Much happier.
Thinner or fatter? Thinner.
Richer or poorer? Poorer. Well, less employed.
What do you wish you’d done more of? Exercising.
What do you wish you’d done less of? Worrying.

How will you be spending/did you spend Christmas?
With my two boys; then with the in-laws.

Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
Tanea. I love that!!

Did you fall in love in 2006?
Many times over. Daily, I'd say.

How many one night stands in this last year?
None this year!

What was your favourite TV programme?
Well, now... there's this show, see, and it's about this doctor, and -- hey, where are you going?

Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

No. I'm not much for hating.

What was the best book(s) you read?
I'm hoping to get to read a whole book next year. I did read lots and lots of magazines, though.

What was your greatest musical discovery?
Hee hee. Pulp.

What did you want and get?
- Time with my son
- Time with, greater understanding of/from, and unconditional love from my husband
- Time with my best friend
- A very touching public display of affection from someone for which I have much affection
- Better relationships in general

What did you want and not get?
- A dream job
- Fame and fortune (Well, doesn't everyone want that? No? Oh.)

What were your favourite films of this year?
I went to the movies exactly once. Maybe twice. This is pathetic for a former theater major/entertainment geek. I forfeit this one, and promise to do better next year. I never even got around to seeing The Prestige. For shame!

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 31, and went out for Persian food with my family. Where "out for Persian food" means "gorged myself on sour cherry rice, mostly." Also, I had a lovely ladies' brunch. That is, a lovely brunch with my lady friends. Although come to think of it, all the ladies in attendance were pretty lovely.

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Having known that I really wasn't losing the people I thought I was losing. Having known that a plan was coming.

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
"Fat thirteen-year-old tries to dress for the office."

What kept you sane?
God. Zoloft. My family. My best friend.

Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
In chronological order:
1. Tim Finn
2. Jarvis Cocker
3. Hugh Laurie

What political issue stirred you the most?
The bullshit war.

Who did you miss?
Tanea and Bob. And, later, Warwick and Hellmuth.

Who was the best new person you met?
I don't think I met anyone new. Did I? I must have. Obviously it was quite memorable.

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.
Vulnerability: highly underrated. Really not as scary as it seems. Surprisingly life-changing.

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year?
Please to be kind and I'll try to explain/I'll probably get it all wrong

Merry Christmas, to those of you celebrating.
Much warmth and peace, to all of you. Thank you for reading.

0 comments: