Sunday, May 27, 2007

Worth a Million in Prizes: Apple Cider Vinegar?

A few weeks ago, I was told I had acid reflux. This explained the constant burning sensation just below my throat and the horrible cough that wouldn't go away. It also explained why certain foods and beverages(my favorite foods and beverages, to be specific)made me feel like a bubbling pool of battery acid. I was given pills, which helped marginally for about three days before becoming useless. In the meantime I was cranky, had a sore throat, a bad taste in my mouth, and a couple of embarrassing client meetings in which my coughing featured prominently. I had cut out coffee (!!!) -- even decaf, as that still proved caustic -- tea, tomatoes, chocolate, citrus fruit and alcohol. It sucked, more or less.

Then my brother told me to start taking organic apple cider vinegar. Sure, why not? The medicine wasn't working. By day two I was able to have decaf without that horrible burning sensation. It's been about a week now and the acid reflux isn't totally gone yet, as I have forgotten some mornings to take it. But here's the idea: my brother said it took him three weeks to a month to get rid of it completely; the first week, taking 1 TBSP three times a day, the second week twice a day, and the last two weeks once a day. The acid reflux is pretty close to being gone. I use Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, but I'd imagine pretty much any apple cider vinegar would do the trick; I just prefer organic.

0 comments: