Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I couldn't, it's the way I was raised -- call it etiquette.

Bernard posted about the Diabetes Etiquette Card from the Behavioral Diabetes Institute. My favorite point on the card is #2:

DO realize and appreciate that diabetes is hard work. Diabetes management is a full-time job that I didn't apply for, didn't want and can't quit. It involves thinking about what, when and how much I eat, while also factoring in exercise, medication, stress, blood sugar monitoring, and so much more -- each and every day.

Coming in a close second is #1:

DON'T offer unsolicited advice about my eating or other aspects of diabetes. You may mean well, but giving advice about someone's personal habits, especially when it is not requested, isn't very nice. Besides, many of the popularly held beliefs about diabetes ("you should just stop eating sugar") are out of date or just plain wrong.

Excuse me, I think I have some mass mailings to make.

0 comments: