Saturday, November 29, 2008

Top Twenty-Five Guilty Pleasures (Part One of Two)

(I considered doing a top five, but that wasn't enough; long story short, the numbers increased in multiples of five and I finally capped it at 25. Ahem. Thank you. Oh, also: these are only numbered for purposes of identification, and not in any way meant to indicate a hierarchy.)

1. 13 Going On 30. I ain't proud, but I ain't ashamed, neither.

2. Kraft Singles. American Pasteurized Processed Cheese Product. There's a tirade I pull from my repertoire when H. brings this home, for obviously its nutritional value is nil, possibly even less than that. Bravely--bravely--do I save my son from its destruction by eating it all myself.

3. The Whole Foods store-brand hot chocolate. I am crazy about it! No other hot chocolate compares. Seriously! It strikes the perfect balance between chocolatey, milky and sweet, it's better than the MarieBelle stuff and it comes in a brown paper envelope. I ask you, friend, what else can you purchase at $3.49 a box that produces such joy? Humbly, I submit: THERE IS NOTHING.

4. O The Oprah Magazine [you may recall that I recently outed myself on this point]

5. Hostess lemon pies. Disgusting? Delicious? Oh, why not both!


6. Garth Brooks' Friends In Low Places -- I can sing it for you, if you like. Which do you prefer, the studio version or the live one?

7. Clueless. Anytime you'd like for me to recite it, just ask!

8. The Spice Girls' Say You'll Be There. Trixie Firecracker! Ahahaha.

9. Billy Joel. Oh my, yes. In particular, Piano Man, Big Shot and Pressure.

10. Labyrinth. Back in the days of Lulu (my now-defunct online magazine for teen girls), I published an in-depth analysis of this movie as a primer for growing up female. STOP LAUGHING. I stand by this analysis even now, but as I'm in the middle of admitting a bunch of embarrassing things to the internet, you'll please forgive me for feeling a bit too vulnerable to go into that diatribe. Oh, just watch it. You won't be sorry.

3 comments:

Clementina said...

I love your guilty pleasures! One of mine is Billy Joel's "I Love You Just the Way You Are." Someone dedicated that song to me a very long time ago.

Emma said...

Don't go changing, La T, to try and please me. Don't change the color of your hair.

Liz said...

Ooh, 13 Going on 30. I submit that this movie is a much-overlooked treatise on commitment, maturity, and second chances. Plus, you know, I *adore* her pink Converse at the end. It's a win-win.