Friday, November 02, 2007

Rugged individual

It's lunchtime. I'm at work, in the conference room of the department I worked in before my current position. My co-worker/client and I are knitting.

One of my old bosses, the Kiwi, walks by and smiles. He's now the boss of my co-worker's boss. I hold up my knitting and he comes to the door shaking his head and smirking. (A couple of years ago, I was on a knitting television show - don't ask - and he told me then that he'd been taught to knit as a boy; the fruits of that labor had been "either a very long oven mitt or a very short scarf.")

Co-worker: Wanna learn how to knit?
Me: He knows how to knit!
Boss Man [shoots me a look]: I have knut.
Co-worker [laughs]: Oh, I like that! The past tense of knit!
Me [DYING LAUGHING]: That's not the past tense, that's his accent.
Co-worker: [DYING]
Me: [LAUGHING HYSTERICALLY ]
Boss Man: [LAUGHING, though not HYSTERICALLY]

2 comments:

Marianne said...

Hey, you making fun of the accent?

I feel robbed. We were suppoed to meet and then I got overwhelmed and, well, I guess it's time for me to suck it up and get over that.

My accent is funny. It may be the only thing about me that is really funny (other than in the "odd" sense of the word) so I better learn to run with that.

Emma said...

No, just giving it a good-natured tease. I love the accent, actually! And yes, I feel robbed too, but I'm sure we'll be able to rectify the situation at some point...