Friday, December 28, 2007

Fast flying and freeway driving always makes me sing

The Proustian Questionnare
Apparently, kids used to do these as party games... Marcel Proust answered this particular meme at age 13 and again at age 20. At age 13, his response to the first question was "Being separated from Mama." This makes me sad.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Slavery.

Where would you like to live?
New Zealand. Northern California. Barring those, Southern California is fine.

What is your idea of earthly happiness?
A home near the ocean, with a garden, lots of books, pens and paper, lots of music, live and recorded, a good kitchen filled with good food and drink, lots of laughter, a camera -- all this to share with my loved ones.

To what faults do you feel most indulgent?
Self-pity, perhaps.

Who are your favorite heroes of fiction?
Michael Corleone, Wolverine, Paul Prior.

Who are your favorite characters in history?
Frank Worsley, Ernest Shackleton, Albert Einstein, Mother Theresa.

Who are your favorite heroines in real life?
My mother, Madeleine L'Engle and my friends.

Who are your favorite heroines of fiction?
Katie John Tucker, Cayce Pollard, Jo from Little Women, Sara Crewe.

Your favorite painter?
I don't know that I have a favorite painter. I tend to like one or two paintings by any given artist, rather than a body of work as a whole. For various reasons this painting by Edward Hopper has been a secret favorite for some years now; secret only because I've never really had occasion to mention it. I suppose it reads to me like a hypercolorized/stylized photograph, which is why it's so appealing. Typically the paintings I like tend to involve nature or some very tender human interaction. That Hopper piece grabs me on a completely different level, and I love it.

Your favorite musician?
[Note to self: this says musician, not lyricist or vocalist!]
David Bowie, Nick Cave, Tom Waits, U2, Neil Finn, the Waterboys, Chopin, Beethoven, Mozart. In no particular order.

The quality you most admire in a man?
Strength, conviction, kindness, honesty, and an uncategorizeable badassness.

The quality you most admire in a woman?
Warmth, conviction, kindness, honesty and an uncategorizeable badassness.

Your favorite virtue?
Kindness and loyalty.

Your favorite occupation?
Writer, singer, linguist.

Who would you have liked to be?
I'm fairly fond of being me; however it would have been great fun, or at least great intrigue, to have been Frank Worsley, Ernest Shackleton and/or Nick Cave. Also, Johnny Depp seems like he has a pretty good gig.

1 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Your description of earthly happiness could have been written by me :-)

Happy New Year, Emma. May it bring you good things.